Friday, September 02, 2011

NO GLORY IN GETTING OLD!



“Always remember this: I like you; I think you have real value to me as a person. If I can interact with you in any way, my life is enriched. It is just a fact. You have the harder job; you have to like me. I hope I can measure up.”

I wrote those words on 9/5/08, and find them still relevant! People get the impression that writing this blogue is a way to keep people in line, “Be careful what you say, it will appear on his blogue!” Nothing is further from the truth. If you were to peruse the entire archive, you will see I never put anyone except Jane Fonda down, and myself.

I have teased my sons, TLW (The Little Woman) and a few friends, but I love them all. If you find yourself the subject of a blogue, be upset, it means I like you too.  Of course, government agencies, Congress, TV weathermen and utility companies all are targets for my opinions, but that is just life, we all do that.

One day I was a young college guy, looking for my future, today I am an old guy, remembering my future. Future turns to history, just mix in experience. I must have had both a lot of aggravation as well as fun, since in those years I developed diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and a penchant for getting into trouble with TLW! I have a severe hearing loss, had it all my life and struggled to make my place in the world as an equal, not one with a disability, I still don’t feel I have one, just an inconvenience. Back in 1967, I almost lost my life in an auto accident on my way home from class, and have a souvenir from it, a right foot that is always in pain, and a scar on my head.

I look back at all the stuff I have and think, well I did live long enough to acquire it all, so I can’t complain, I am grateful that I lived. Along with the good came the bad, but once again, I was blessed to live this long. Many of my contemporaries are now gone, and seem to be going everyday, I am still here!

Maybe this blogue is a celebration of the fact that I know you all, that I have something I can say, people to love and a life to share. I realize that I don’t need money, just friends, I don’t need fame, just friends, I don’t need power, just friends, in other words, I just need you. Thanks for being here in this world sharing with me.

I realize that life is like a piece of paper, where my name is the center of the paper, and everyone else, TLW, my kids, Mom and Dad, and all my family, friends and acquaintance’s names are written on the paper. Whenever someone is born, I add a name on the paper, whenever someone passes on; I cut the name out of the paper. When I step back, I see holes in my life.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO PAT MARCOCCIO, MY SECRET HAND HOLDING PARTNER OF THE CLASS OF '64. PAT, SAY HELLO TO MY COUSIN VINNIE.

3 comments:

Corinne said...

You add joy to every day. You go with my first cup of coffee and now after 2 years, I wouldn't know what to do without you! Your "friend" Corinne

Anonymous said...

awww Joe. How sweet.



-jan/PCH

Princess Pat said...

Happy Birthday to my new friend Patty.