Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A STRANGER IN THE NIGHT


As I sat in my chair, I started to doze off, and TLW (The Little Woman) admonished me.

“JOE! You really want to stay awake.”

Being it was 8:30 PM, I got a bowl of ice cream to wake me up a little, but I was beat from a long day, and the day was nowhere near over. At 9:00 PM I planned to drive to my local sleep center for a sleep study. It seems TLW thinks I have sleep apnea.

As I drove in the dark to the center, a storm was blowing in; complete with thunder, lightning and wind, and in the dark it seemed ominous to say the least. Although no rain had fallen yet, you could smell it coming.



Arriving, I entered the old 1726 building and checked in with the technician (Teckie) for short. Teckie, like one of those old Dracula movies led me to my room.

I filled out about 5 pages of questions, signed it and waited for Techie to return. As I wait, to amuse myself, I start looking into the drawers and on the shelves and just snooping from boredom. Techie reappears and suggests to me that I should go to the toilet before we begin so we can deal with a full night’s sleep, not interrupting the study, but if I did need to again, he showed me a button that would get him and he would unhook the paraphernalia.

30 electrodes are connected to my legs, body and head! Wires are coming out of the kazoo almost, and I wonder how much of a good idea this is. Never having been a good sleeper, I was concerned.

Techie tucks me in and in my Jamie bottoms, I try to fall asleep, it is 10:15 PM.

By 12:30 I fall asleep, discovering: Yes, you CAN turn on your side without getting electrocuted, and you can do that at 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, and 4:30 AM as well, the circular ring around the camera lens, not withstanding.

Teckie joins me and begins the process of disconnecting me from the electro world of sleep study, tearing off the little sensors that are taped and glued to my hairy legs, chest and head (not so hairy, follicle challenged would be a better description). He leaves and I get dressed, and peek out the test room door, and on my right is a bank of about 9 monitors, one of which is my room. So much for snooping, good thing I’m honest!

Leaving the sleep center, I realize just how tired I am, and wonder if they really got any results from the test!

Well, I going for a little nap, see you later.

P.S. I have to go back in a week for the results, and I'm afraid that will keep me awake at nights!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know they swear that the video is confidential and they will only use it in a professional way, but what do you think they REALLY do with the video tape of you sleeping? Better check out YOUTUBE.
SS-I-L