Wednesday, October 05, 2011

GETTING OLD IS HARD TO DO!


The other morning I went to the local convenience store to purchase some convenience. As I was waiting to pay for the convenience, there is an elderly gentleman in front of me.

“Can I have a pack of Marlboro, please?”

The owner of the store asks for identification.

The old guy looks at the owner in shock.

“I must see your ID, it’s the law!

The old guy digs into his wallet and takes out his driver’s license and flashes it.

The owner hardly looks at it.

“Thank you.”

Off the old guy goes, feeling like maybe he should take better care of himself since he looks so young.

My turn comes and I ask the owner if the old guys mother knows he smokes.

“Look, I understand how stupid this all is, but it is the law, and they are tough. One time one of my employees didn’t ask for ID and was fined a thousand dollars, he had to go to court and they even warned him about jail time. Then they turned around and fined me another two thousand. The law is made to make money, that is all this is about!”

Here I was going to buy a pack of Marlboro’s so someone would ask me for MY ID, and I don’t smoke! I still think it must feel good.

No comments: