Monday, November 28, 2011

BLACK FRIDAY!


They call it Black Friday, but I call it: “That Big Day”. It was the day after Thanksgiving, in 1970, and I was in love.

I had met TLW (The Little Woman) on the Long Island Railroad, and we were dating frequently at this juncture in my life. I had a few girlfriends, but no one really took my breath away. I decided that I would bring home an executive secretary from the Mobile Oil Corporation to meet the family, and see what their reaction was to someone I had hoped would marry me. I had mentioned her to my mother, in a casual way, and so I picked the day after Thanksgiving for the introduction, and my proposal.

All I need is the cap!
I was living the good life. I had a brand new Camaro, two toned with a black vinyl roof and forest green body, which I washed and waxed more than I washed! I also had a job in the city on the top of a skyscraper, corner office and money to spend. I had just purchased a whole new wardrobe of suits, (3-piece) ties and shirts and a grey overcoat or great coat that made me look like Marshal Zhukov! Life was good!

That morning I picked up TLW at her home and we went to a diner in Sayville for breakfast. She wore a white button sweater with a knitted belt and purple outfit. After breakfast we did a little running around and then towards the afternoon we went to my house.

We entered the house unannounced and I introduced TLW around to the covenant of sisters, all 4. The oldest, Tess, (much older) looked at me and wanted to say: “Is this the latest?” The others just followed suit and said nothing but hello.

After impressing my family with such a lovely lady, we decided to go out after dinner, and I went to a special spot on the bay and made my proposal. The November night was clear, and I remember the stars sparkling as I was about to ask her. Summoning up my courage I said: “Will you marry me?” There was the longest seconds I can ever remember.

Well, she said Yes, and no money was exchanged either.

The next day we made our plans to marry the following June, and a date was set. We went that Sunday to church at St. Joseph the Worker in East Patchogue, with Mom and my 4 sisters, and the day after my Mom said to me that someone said that TLW looked like she belonged with the covenant.

After 40 years of being together, it seems like she has never ever said it had to be her way. We don’t always agree, but we manage to compromise. Why? Because we know that we love each other enough that it doesn’t matter when you look at what we really have. She has NEVER used a four-letter word except “Shit” which is used as part of her instructions as to what to do in my hat. I can’t think of a better mother, or anyone who could ever take her place.

On January 15th, 1971 we got officially engaged, I gave her the ring in a surprise move on the train, where I first met her, on a Friday, while she wore that purple suit. 

No comments: