Friday, December 23, 2011

I'M ALWAYS IN THE DARK

I was finishing up my telephone call with Mom, who said: "And everyone is OK at home?"

"Yes Ma..." when suddenly the lights started to flicker in the late afternoon gloom. The phone line was static and the TV was gone. I was alone in this world, life would be different for however long it would take to see the light of day(?)

I thought to myself that maybe someone had hit a phone or power pole. Since it was already getting dark, I gathered two candles and placed them in the den, and found a newspaper to read by the candlelight. With 2 candles burning, it was becoming a religious experience. Fortunately, no one was around to deliver a sermon. I knew that if that had happened, I'd want breakfast too. It would really screw up my day.

Grabbing my cell phone, I called the Little Woman (TLW) to advise her about the phone situation (She planned to call me later). I call the Wanna-Be Bank & Truss Co.

“Wanna-Be Bank & Truss Company, Morticia speaking, how may I help you?”

“Uh, Hi Morticia, this is Joe Del Bloggolo may I speak with TLW?”

“ I’m sorry, she’s away from her desk! I’ll try to find her.”

“No Morticia, could I just leave a message? Just tell her we have no electricity or phone.”

There is a long pause, then Morticia comes alive.

“Are you on your cell phone?”

It makes me proud to know that the Wanna-Be Bank and Truss Company has someone like Morticia in the wings waiting to take over for the CEO!


1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

More than 10 trees got lit up at once...too much for that Mickey Mouse power company. Move back to Brooklyn.