Saturday, December 24, 2011

SHARING


For over 40 years now, TLW (The Little Woman) and I have been sharing things with each other. The other morning went something like this:

“Morning Toots, I think I got your cold!”

“I don’t HAVE a cold!

“I know, I’m going to give you this one.”

Sometimes these things can’t be helped. It was two weeks after that she did get the cold, and she was quick to acknowledge it to me.

“I feel lousy!”

Me: “Oh, what’s wrong?” (Like I didn’t know.)

“I got YOUR cold!” she said coldly.

“Now what makes you say you got MY cold, you may have gotten it from one of your co-workers! Didn’t you mention that Morticia was hacking all weekend? And what about Mortidella, she was running after her nose from what I hear.”

“Noooooo – I got YOUR cold.”

I recall years ago with two young children in schools, getting everything they caught from their little friends. My daughter particularly would share her illnesses with me. I was always playing with her, trying to amuse her or squeezing and kissing her to try to get her to be responsive. Then there was #1 Son. He and I were always handling a ball, a smurf basketball or football so we could play in the living room, and so, his cold was my cold.

Then at the holidays, the dreaded stomach virus appeared, right after Santa at the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade. The kids got sick, then I did! Such sharing you wouldn’t believe! Usually two days before Christmas Day, I couldn’t move, eat or doing anything but feel the sick stomach as I watched TLW and the blessed little tykes frollicking around the house, filled with energy, Christmas cookies and the holiday spirit.

Actually, the sharing started when one day not long after our honeymoon she said:

“I think we’re pregnant!”

Many is the time when we go to dinner or even at home, and she can’t finish what’s in her plate, she cuts off what she can’t eat and places it in my plate.

“I can’t finish this Joe, here, you have it.”

Being a good husband, I try not to argue, because you can lose points that way.

But then, after I finish it I start to wonder:
1)   Why am I gaining weight while she doesn’t, we eat the same things
B)  Would she be willing to share my calories?

I just thought I’d share this with you

No comments: