Monday, February 06, 2012

EYE SEE U


Dr. Strangeglove
Once a year I have to go to my eye doctor, as part of the diabetes control. My eye doctor is a strange bird, dressed like he is going to a business meeting as he walks from exam room to exam room, in his suit. No smock, a suit. The suit is a dark powdered blue, which he always wears. He needs a new suit.

His assistant will put drops in my eyes; ask some questions and leave, after recording my responses. Then Doctor Guilt comes in. Doctor Guilt looks unctuous, self-important and detached.

“I see your A1c number is 6.3! Very good!”

My regular doctor, Dr. Strangeglove, never tells me anything about my A1c number, so I had to ask. He also thinks I don’t need to prick my finger every day because I see him every three months, take a medication he prescribes and doesn’t want anyone, and I mean ANYONE else tell me what I should do. My eye doctor thinks I should prick my fingers every day, twice a day. I try to keep peace with my medical family, so I do what Dr. Strangeglove wants, but tell everyone else what they want to hear.

My insurance company has a nurse that calls me every now and then; in a thing they call a “Wellness program”. She calls, I entertain her, she gives me a tip or two, (not on the ponies) and we both live our lives happily ever after until the next call. She gets the same A1c number. If you are going to lie, at least be consistant.

There is nothing the eye doctor, or the nurse can do for me that affects my health plan, that is Dr. Strangeglove’s domain. They can check my eyes and they can give me advice. Any advice does go through Dr. Strangeglove. Dr Guilt, like my cardiologist, comes as a referral from Dr. Strangeglove.

I have discovered I am the backbone to the health industry. Eyes, ears and nose, heart, whatever, I am keeping the industry vital. Meds, office staff, all that is needed to keep me alive, to save me.

Save me for what?

No comments: