Wednesday, February 22, 2012

ONE AND A HALF DEGREES TO FEELING WARM



TLW (The Little Woman) all my married life has complained about being cold. It doesn’t matter what time of the day or year it is: TLW is always cold! Now I don’t mean to make fun of her, no, I mean to examine this phenomena.

One of the ways to tell when TLW is cold is a physical clue, which comes in the way of a red nose. It was way back in 1949 that Gene Autry was introduced to TLW by accident, and it is where he got the inspiration for the song Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer. He tried TLW the Red Nosed Little Girl, but it didn’t seem to have staying power.

Then there are other signs, she is usually wrapped in a blanket, the heat in the house is higher than Rudolf flies, or one of the real indicators, a comforter on the bed every day except the first two weeks in August.

If we stand in cold weather say for the St. Paddy’s Day Parade, her nose glows, she starts to stamp her feet and fold her arms, and every year gets applauded for doing an Irish jig!

At night, during the last hurricane, if it weren’t for TLW, I would have had to light candles to see!

TLW recently went to the doctor for her usual check up, and discovered her body temperature is 97.1 degrees F’.

1 and ½ degrees separate her from being normal! She claims it has been that way all her life. Her mother never told me that before we were married!

I on the other hand am always hot.

We have been married for over 40 years. In those 40 years we argue over only two things; who the kids bad habits come from, and the thermostat at night. I lower the thermostat upstairs, and while I fall asleep, she gets up and raises it. Then I get up, lower it and open the window, some nights we pass each other lowering and raising, opening and closing. It can be a pretty busy night.

Once we went to my sisters overnight in Connecticut. She gave us this bed with a dual control to lower or raise the heat in the bed. All night long we were uncomfortable, she was too cold and I was very hot. That morning we discovered we had each others controller.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Connecticut story is one of my favorites. I have to figure out a way to work it into a script!

--#1 Son