Saturday, March 10, 2012

ANOTHER DOOR CLOSES


For many years I have been signing checks for the Board and the Agency. My doing this helps the agency run more efficiently in that I do it at a prescribed time.

In this process there is a staff member who prepares the checks for me to sign and anything else that may need my signature. She is a lovely lady who is known as Mary Jo, and just by looking at her you know she is well organized, meticulous and also very courteous.

Every Tuesday, I find her at her desk, buried in her screen working hard, I greet her, and she greets me and gets out the green plastic folders and hands me from 1 to about 25 checks on any given Tuesday, we chat and we joke and we go on to the next week. I look forward to doing this task as it allows me to meet the staff once a week and enjoy their company.

Then one day she came to me and said she was retiring, and frankly, she looks too young to retire. I was saddened to hear that, since it meant I would not see her any more, and another piece of my world would be closed off.

As you see, she is a great gal, and often I see her at Sunday Mass across the church, as the sign of peace is offered, I wave across the church to her and she does the same. I think it might be Canon Law!

So farewell Mary Jo, the sky’s the limit in retirement and I am sure you deserve it for all your dedication and hard work. You will be missed by your co-workers and by the board of directors, and certainly I will not only miss you, but will be saddened by it.

XXX

No comments: