Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MONDAY WAS A BUMMER


Sometimes I think of this blogue as a diary, and I think that is the original intention of ‘Blogs’ as a whole. My intention is to not be too conventional or too predictable if possible. But it is about me in this world, and why I managed so far to stay alive.

Monday was a downer for me, so it became etched in my mind and I write about it.

AUBREY ROSE
It started well enough, visiting my younger sister (Slightly younger) and her two grandchildren who she is babysitting for. I tried to play with 7 month-old Aubrey and her older brother Al. Aubrey looked at me and wondered, and Al looked at me and then for the nearest exit.

From there I went to St. Sylvester’s RC Church to attend a funeral Mass for a classmate. As I sat in the back of the church, the casket was rolled in and I momentarily wondered who was in it. It seems since we’ve had our reunion, we must have lost about 12 classmates, and out of 160 I’d say about 45 are now gone!

THE EXIT COACH
If that wasn’t enough, I went out with TLW (The Little Woman) to visit a sick woman who lives alone in East Marion on Long Island. She is a woman who is dying quickly, and six months ago when we last saw her, she was getting around and living by herself. When we got to the house, an aide let us in, a wonderful lady from Poland who works in this country, and is a godsend for our friend. She cooks, cleans and medicates as well as assists our friend, 24/7.

When our friend first appeared, we saw for the first time a sunken, stooped and nearly blind and almost totally deaf woman, who needed to get into our faces to know who we were.

Jesus says we should visit the elderly and the sick, and this eighty something year old fits that description, but Jesus never said what to expect. I guess he figured if he told us we might not visit.

Our friend had invited us to come and to bring a typewriter, since she wanted to write a letter. She then went into a long discourse on how when it comes to money she trusts no one, and in particular her relatives one of which is helping her, at great inconvenience, distance and cost to him. But the letter was more to tell him off about a slight she perceived that he perpetrated on her.

I wrote a very conciliatory but to the point letter on my laptop that she agreed to. I said I would send it to her when I printed it. Then she thought about the letter and tried to decide if she wanted to comment on his haircut too!

Leaving her home for the over one hour drive home, we just talked about this old woman, her sense of  being betrayed by people who are trying to do their best for her, and how her suspicious nature seems to color everything. We also discussed how over-coming her appearance was and how it shocked us.

She probably won’t have long to live, maybe a few months, maybe a little longer, but it drove home a question in my mind. Do we live longer and into a state of mind that destroys reality, or do we leave the world too soon, destroyed by things like cancer? 

MOM AND THE MOB
I guess you can be very blessed like my mother, who will be 94 in May, still manages to get around, is strong-minded and uses it well. Other than poor eyesight, she can enjoy great grandchildren and a huge family and has friends, including her boy toy. She is always happy and always ‘UP’, and still wields a mean wooden spoon.

MY MAN AL
Maybe I should just concentrate on the joy of Aubrey Rose and Al, they give me hope for tomorrow, so I can ignore my own mortal destiny.

No comments: