Sunday, March 18, 2012

OooH, OooH, Oww!


Recently I found out that a classmate from high school just lost his wife, a schoolmate of mine. It was sudden and another is on the ropes as I write this. It brought home to me just how fragile we all are.

People ask me or I tell them about my mother who is almost 94 and they say to me: “You are lucky you have good genes running in your family!” I know that that is not true and means nothing because my Dad died at 74, before my grandmother who died at 97. Nothing in this life is guaranteed.

BEFORE OLD AGE PAIN
So the other night I decided to try to figure out this contraption that is supposed to allow me to show something on the TV screen from my computer. TLW (The Little Woman) and I have spent a good amount of time so far trying, we can’t seem to solve it. We are both fairly intelligent people, she more than me I’m sure, but we are stymied.

TLW: “OK, here is what we’ll do, I’ll plug this into the ‘S’ output and you start to switch the three output modes.”

“OK”

“Darn, maybe if I try to connect this wire to the back of the DVD player?”

“Sure into the ‘video out’ and then I will start to switch again, ok?”

“OK”

She gets down on her knees OK and starts to look behind the DVD player to find the port.

“Darn, it’s so dark back here, I can’t see a thing!”

We go through the switching once again and still no prize. She starts to move further into the back to see if there is anything else she could try. Finally she is now on the floor, on her side, and says:

“This better work because I can’t get up anymore, I hurts to!”

This made me feel a little better that I wasn’t the only one feeling my age, as I had been trying up and down earlier in the day.

Misery does love company and she shouldn’t have had to be there, on the floor like that but she didn’t know how to work the program on the computer.

Recently I was looking at old pictures of family from over 66 years ago and remembering things in the past, I feel how fleeting time is, but the funny thing is I realize how lucky I have been to have all these wonderful people in my life, and that I better take stock of each of them from nieces and nephews to sisters and in-laws. These are remarkable human beings who all seem to have contributed something to the world in some fashion or form. I wonder why I am so lucky. I have in-laws from TLW’s side that are free and easy to live with as I have people that married into the family and became just like blood, all decent human beings, all I am happy to be part of. They are who I want to be.

My home life is tranquil for the most part, peaceful and serene, more than anybody could wish for, I so far have. For all that time spent with these people, I am ahead, no matter what happens today or tomorrow.

I wish that on all of you, too.

No comments: