Sunday, March 25, 2012

REMEMBERING TIMES PAST


Did you ever have the experience of momentary memory? That is a flashback due to some stimulus that occurred? Sometimes it’s a song, or a phrase, or even a smell or taste?

Once upon a time many years ago, as I sat in 4th grade in Mrs. James class, there was a little gal who seemed to be the center of attention of all the class. She was a tiny little lady and as tiny as she may have been she was large in spirit, very large.

All the boys called her: “Half-pint”, but she was smart as a whip and sweet as a sundae, and could hold her own. The gals called her: “Kathy” and that was her name. Kathy always sat in front of the class and so I was familiar with the back of her head.

We teased her, she teased us back, we called her half-pint and she smiled. She had our attention, she reminds me today of the adage being that it doesn’t need to be good publicity, just as long as you are mentioned.

So the years went by and I lost track of half-pint, gone from everyday life: as I grew older, went off to college and married. Then 2 years ago I helped organize a reunion of our high school class. Who do I see that fate filled day but Kathy! She was taller, but still as charming as she ever was in 4th grade, standing at the table. (She had actually grown some!)

I had seen pictures that she had sent me of when she was in high school that I used for a slide show of the class, and we had spoken briefly prior to the day. Each memory was a happy flashback, something special and still remembered.

Kathy passed away a few days ago, and in her passing I am reminded that if we don’t stop and think about what really is important, we each die a little, until one day we kill ourselves from what is not important in life. I'm sure she died smiling, and it reminds me that life is wonderful, so is friendship. We can forgive us our trespasses, and learn to forget our transgressions, and embrace each other as brothers and sisters on this earth as we pass through it.

There is no one I hate in this world, no one I don’t wish to see. If someone dislikes me, I’m sorry if I make you feel that way. I can only offer you a chance to make peace with yourself as not to waste your time hating me, life is too short. I would sit down with anyone, and discuss it and forgive.  I hope you would do the same.

So Kathy, say hello to Judy, Marlene and Dave, find Peter and John and Kathy and give them all wave, the many classmates that no longer grace this Earth, but remind them all that someday we will all meet together, and that will be the greatest reunion ever!

Kathy is gone, but with her passing, she has reinforced my memories of her and that special time so many years ago in Mrs. James class.

"We bid thee a fond farewell
though many a year's gone by.
Bellport, Bellport, Bellport High,
Parting is sorrow, parting is neigh."

TO A FRIEND

We pass through this life but once,
Like the wind: sometimes unseen.
Living our days one at a time
Spending them down to our last day.

Along the way we met one day
I don’t recall it well.
But there you were and gave a gift
Of friendship and memories.

Together we laughed and
Together, we cried spending
Days gone by that we shared,
Like apples from a tree

If I could have just one more day
I’d thank you for the past.
And adorn my remaining days
With your sweet memory.

I am glad you are at peace, Half-Pint, your memory lives on.
Love,
 all your classmates.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Joe, very well said!

Jim Pantaleno said...

Friends well remembered.

Arlene said...

Beautiful Joe, as alsways. Thank you.

Peggy( Murphy)G. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peggy( Murphy)G. said...

So touching Joe!
I remember Kathy in school being just a year behind her..Mostly I remember her after school, living across the street..still teenagers but becoming women..I remember lot's of big smiles and waves! The minute she would see you..there was that big smile....Heaven is smiling today!

11:42 AM

CAROL said...

VERY WELL SAID. YES JOE, LIFE IS SHORT, VERY SHORT AS SOMEONE TOLD ME LATELY. IT BECOMES MORE APPARENT AS WE GET OLDER. THAT'S WHY IT'S SO GOOD TO GET TOGETHER WHENEVER WE CAN TO SEE EVERYBODY.JUST LAUGHING WITH EACH OTHER IS SO GOOD. EVEN AT DUMB THINGS. JOE, I WOULD LIKE TO THINK THAT KATHY IS NOW WITH JUDY, LAUGHING.