Sunday, April 01, 2012

IT’S MY JOB!

IT’S MY JOB!

Having lunch with old guys my age is my job. Once a month I have lunch with an old colleague and former writer from the world of business. Lunch with a photographer or artist is not out of the question, maybe a client, and most recently an old actor and former torch barer of mine from high school, by the name of Peter Iacangelo.

Almost 50 years ago, Pete stood behind me at my high school graduation as I got my diploma and headed out to the world of college. Said my good-bye to Peter and met him exactly 48 years later.

What do you say after 48 years? I said: “wait there while I park my car,” as I drove past him into the parking lot of a Japanese restaurant in Bellport, Nakama Steakhouse and Sushi Bar. Two Italian boys from Brooklyn, eating sushi and talking Italian food, it made all the sense in the world to me.

He had some interesting stories to share and told them well, serenaded the young waitress, and we sat there for 3 hours, and then carried the conversation on in the parking lot! There wasn’t enough time for us to catch up! There is a ton yet to be said and a want to hear it all.

Of course the waitress seemed to get involved as we asked her questions about herself, looking to become a paralegal and still studying in college. Single and unattached, I should introduce her to #2 Son, and she seemed interested enough as she showed us her tattoos.

It is nice to reach back into the past and not live it again. It refocuses a memory more clearly: re-echoing the words and brings back the wonderful senses of youth.

Two large Sakes each didn’t hurt either.

Here is some of his work:


Pete, it was a great lunch, let’s do it again!

No comments: