Saturday, April 28, 2012

THE OLD AGE FACTOR


The other morning I was driving home and put on a CD. I don’t look at what the CD is: I like to surprise myself. I know at my age surprises aren’t always a good idea, but I took the chance anyway. Nothing like living on the edge!

It turned out the music was an Ann Murray 1970 hit, “SNOWBIRD”, and as I listened to the music and lyrics I realized just how fleeting life is! THAT SONG IS 42 YEARS OLD! I have ties older than that!

I looked over to TLW (The Little Woman) and realized that it was then that we met, that song was in when we were! Now 42 years later, we sit next to each other and share our experiences and I think I would trade anything in my life for the 42 years we spent together. They were very warm and close and trusting years we shared, and unlike the song, we remained true to each other.

Funny how you change over the years, you surrender your guard because there is nothing to guard against when you grow older together, it is a beautiful thing. She gave me beautiful children, all different, all a challenge, but that is what we bargained for when we married. We didn’t know what was store for us, but we took a chance on love and it worked out. Not everyday was bright and shiny, not everyday was perfect, but everyday was ours, and we shared it all together.

Living with me must have been tough, for TLW and my kids, but I tried. I didn’t always come out on top but I always came home. I never denied my wife or kids if I thought it was good for them and I never strayed and I know TLW didn’t either. The fun part of marriage I think is once you learn about your partner, what they become is a warm place in your own heart, where you want to be when you breath your last breath. I will go satisfied I had a wonderful life, a wonderful time with the people that are my family, the people they brought into my life and the times I spent with them all.

42 YEARS SIDE BY SIDE
I have no regrets, I realize that life is a gift in itself, that we tend to wish for more, but I only wish to continue to live a little longer with these people I call my home. To wish for more is like you giving me a present and me thinking I wish it were bigger, how absurd is that?

So today, look around you, look at your mate and look at your children, you are very lucky and blessed you have them, I know I am.  If you don’t have family, then look to those that call you friend, it is your extended family!

No comments: