Friday, June 01, 2012

BUS SIDE MANOR


As a concerned father and advocate of my daughter who lives in a intermediate care facility, I had a very pleasant experience for a change in my attending one of her doctor’s meetings. That is not to say that the doctors I have met are NOT pleasant, just routine at times and do a thorough job.

When you are part of the fragile population, you need more medical care than the average person does. That means seeing doctors and many of them. Sitting through the exam can be hard on both the patient and the advocate.

It was a hot muggy morning, and as I pulled up early for my daughter’s appointment, I noticed the bus that brings her to these events was already here. Knowing my daughter, if she decides she wants to get of the bus then she will, if not, they tend to abort things, so I manage usually to get her off.

I enter the bus and am greeted warmly by this wonderful woman who seems to be at every appointment. She knows Ellen and Ellen loves her. This woman informed me that the doctor would come out to the bus and see her since it was so warm, so as not to disturb her. Being it was a non-invasive or physical exam, but a psychological evaluation where questions would be asked, this was a great idea.

Soon the doctor arrives and climbs aboard this 8-seat passenger bus with room for a couple of wheelchairs. The man immediately reminds me of Mel Brooks, a wonderful man named Dr. Spielberg, who immediately lights up the place with his warmth and humor. He hadn’t seen Ellen in many years yet recognized her and was genuinely happy to see her.

The Matron introduces me to the doctor, he asks me about Ellen’s history of late then asks: “Do you spoil her?” “Yup!” A big smile crosses his whole face, shakes his finger at me and laughs!

Makes me feel great to meet someone like that, half of his healing powers are in his smile.

No comments: