Saturday, June 30, 2012

SHARING THE WEALTH


Actually, TLW (The Little Woman) has it all. I just come along for the ride.

The other day there was a promo on the morning news for a Dr. Phil show. Dr. Phil asked a father why he hates his kids, and the father said: “Because they always take her side.” Meaning his wife, I asked TLW: “What did he say?” and she of course replied: “They always take her side. You know what that’s like.”

Funny, I can remember being that way with my parents. Mom was the law, she knew where everything was, when to do something, when not to, the final arbiter in terms of standing disagreements. Dad would poke his head in, and would hear the bullets ricocheted and think: maybe this is not for me. In other words: “Go ask your mother” was his call for reason, “Don’t get me involved.”

Even the non-living things in the house are subject to TLW’s scrutiny and will. We have a robot that cleans the pool, climbs the walls and steps and does a pretty good job of it. Once in a while it gets temperamental and stops for some reason. She goes and looks out the window and it starts to move again, me, I have to go out there and move it.

One morning she asked me to go to the deli to get a gallon of milk and two buttered rolls. “I’ll pay you back when I go to the bank today.” It was a long day as she forgot, so I reminded her, only to find out I was in arrears from the week before, deducting $2 from what I owed her!

So you know now why we share the wealth, I can’t afford to spend it alone!

No comments: