Saturday, July 21, 2012

AURORA


AURORA, COLORADO
The last time I looked, there were no Redcoats marching down Main Street, no Soviet or Chinese troops massed at the border or coming ashore at our beaches. All the predators are cordoned off into the wilderness and as far as criminals go, the Police are still out there seeking them, when they aren’t giving out tickets for speeding and reckless driving.
So my question is: Why do we need guns in this society, to hunt? Do we really need to allow every crackpot that desires a gun to have one because hunters have one? Is there no way to regulate the sale of a weapon if you are not a hunter?

What abut it, conservatives, you think it is a so-called “right” to own a gun?Why are you protecting my right to own an assault weapon? Why do I need it?

If it is a ‘right’ to own a gun, and guns being so wonderful, why is it that you need a permit to carry one, and a license to own one? What makes it so necessary to have these things in the first place?

I have another question.

It you are so anti-abortion, why is it you are for legalizing the ownership of guns? Isn’t that a contrediction?
COLUMBINE

The U.S. Constitution is a living document, designed that way so that society in the USA could make changes for the benefit of its citizens. Do we need to arm our citizens, when in fact that is nothing to arm against any longer?

When I heard about Aurora, it did not shock me. It did not even upset me, because I kind of expect these kinds of events happening. Since Waco Texas and Columbine, I have become de-sensitize to all this insanity, to protect myself. Crazies have gotten permits and licenses and armed themselves and went out to settle scores. The problem is the scores they settle are with the innocent.

I have another question.

How many innocent do we need to kill and still maintain our ‘right ‘ to bare arms? There is a very lame argument out there that cars kill more people every year than guns do. Can we equate an accident by a driver, drunken or not with an individual who goes out with intent and deliberately kills someone because guns are available so easily? How much violence will the conservatives in this country sponsor?

It is bad enough that this country’s citizens today are so selfish, so demanding and so insensitive to others; do we need these people with these attitudes owning guns too? You see them on the roads, with their vehicles, not stopping for stop signs, running the shoulder and traffic lights and thinking nothing of getting behind the wheel of a car and endangering everyone including themselves with drugs and alcohol while they drive?

I think it is OK to have a gun that is properly registered and licensed, and is used to hunt as a sport, but to own a dangerous weapon with out any real reason except to kill someone like it happens in Aurora movie theaters is insane, incentive and criminal in both a lawful and moral way.

3 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I can see allowing people to own conventional pistols for home defense and rifles for hunting, but why any person should be allowed to own an assault weapon is beyond me. These are the guns that can do the most damage in the shortest time. Their ownership by civilians is just indefensible.

Anonymous said...

Great blog post! You continue to impress me with your ability to take things on an issue-by-issue basis. I'm with you, the Constitution is a living and breathing document -- and allowing for that is probably the biggest genius of our founding fathers. I'm sure our founding fathers couldn't forsee something like Columbine or the Aurora incident when they added the second Amendment. Jim's right, guns shouldn't go away -- but there's no need for people to own assault weapons. I saw a pro-Gun advocate on Facebook say, "Just imagine if some responsible gun owners had been allowed to carry their guns into that theater -- many lives would have been saved." I don't understand that argument. It seems like it would have led to a massive shootout with more people dying. Great post.

-#1 Son

Anonymous said...

As my daughter may have mentioned, her Dad is a bit of a conservative, probably more of a Libertarian, but you hit the nail on the head with this one. Hunting and self defense can be done with a handgun, shotgun or traditional rifle. I never needed an AK47 for Bambi or partridge hunting back in the day, and my M-16 marksman award from my time in the U. S. Coast Guard was for defending my country.
Roger Hyde (Father of TLC!)