Tuesday, July 24, 2012

HARVEY


I’m not a big TV fan, I don’t watch much other than football, baseball and some basketball. But because #1 Son helps write for the Big Bang Theory, I started to watch it and became hooked on it. Now I watch all the re-runs I never saw, and discovered what good writing is all about. But it isn’t enough to have a good writer unless you have good actors, and Jim Parsons, one of the stars of the show fills the bill, thank you very much.

Nick and Michele DiPalo and TLW
Through the course my high school reunion, and the great pleasure of seeing old schoolmates from 40 something years ago and one in particular, Michele DePalo, (DeVito) who it turns out is a big fan of the show and Jim Parsons.

So when I saw that he was starring on Broadway, I decided I would go and watch it. On further thinking, I thought why not see if Michele and her husband Nick would like to come too? So I invited her and she jumped at the chance to see Mr. Parsons. It was just a wonderful, pleasant, calm and relaxing day TLW (The Little Woman) and I spent with two pretty nice people.

We met at the railroad station and enjoyed the train ride into the Big Apple, laughing and telling stories about the past. The day itself was picture perfect, great temperature, no humidity and sunny and bright.

Getting to Studio 54 where the show is, we entered a beautiful old work of art built in 1927, if had to be the finest example of classical architectural design I have seen since my trips to Italy. The only problem was the seats were built for people under 5’ tall. As the room between rows of seats were minimal.

The show Harvey was great but Jim Parsons is a master at his trade. He was made for Broadway and he carried that show! Of the whole cast, his voice carried so well and distinctly as he moved about that stage, bring back memories of what Jimmy Steward did in the movie in 1950.

After the show; as we were leaving we noticed people lining up outside the theater for autographs, and so we gave it a try. Jim Parsons came out, signed some autographs and went back inside, the crowd large and crowding, we couldn’t get close enough. But at least Michele saw him in person and the picture of him in the crowd, Nick her husband took.

Off we went to dinner, at Tony’s DiNapoli where we had a great dinner. It is a family style restaurant that serves portions for two. We had a steak pizziola and Rigatoni in Vodka Sauce, and a great bottle of wine. All of that fed 4 people and we walked away stuffed! This place is on West 43rd Street between 6th Avenue and Broadway. The service is great and the food unbeatable. It is my third visit there.

But the company was what made my day. I have to say that Michele and Nick are a great couple together, Nick is a great conversationalist and just a good guy, I am glad we shared that time with them. Thank you, DePalos!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you guys got to go and had a good time! Courtney and I were a little disappointed with the play itself, but thought Jim was incredible, as always. I hope you guys get to meet him when you come out LA to visit next time.

-#1 Son

Anonymous said...

Awww. Thanks, Joe. We had a wonderful time as well. I'm so glad you iinvited us.