Tuesday, July 03, 2012

HOW HOT WAS IT?


Recently the country experienced a heat wave, and many of my friends on Facebook complained and made jokes. But no one individual made a comment about never complaining again about the cold after all this heat. Then, there it was:

Thank you Helena Squillace Scott

My facebook buddy Helena from Hell (Atlanta in the summer is hell) posted the saying, and it is appropriate.

I love the cold, hate the heat, in fact you can rearrange the letters in hate, and it can spell heat! (You must be thinking: His mother must be so proud!)

So who do I marry: A woman who thrives on blankets in August. Goes everywhere in the summer at least carrying a sweater! I look at her and I want to pass out! In August she takes away the comforter for two days, then declares summer is over and puts the blanket back on.

When I was a youngin’ growing up in Brooklyn, we didn’t have air-conditioning, and only one fan to cool my older sister Tess (much older) and me. We lived on the top floor of an apartment house with a flat roof, and the house was exposed to an alley on one side. So my older sister Tess (much older) and me would sleep on the bare linoleum floor, because if gave us a sense of relief. No we didn’t walk to school up hill 5 miles each way, but it was very uncomfortable in that apartment.

Now I don’t expect any sympathy from anyone who might be reading this, just a reminder that this is the season for heat and we are all in it together, procreation will be down and tempers up. 
Lovers will shake hands.
I hope you appreciate the emphasis here.


2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

We are lucky we can escape the extremes of hot and cold. There are some who can't, and for them I feel.

Anonymous said...

We were very lucky. One million people in our area have been without power since a storm hit the area 3 nights ago. Some of the people affected live on the 2nd, 3rd floor or higher. I think about them many times a day in this nearly 100 degree weather and pray their electric companies (whose employees are working overtime in this heat) get it going again soon. They are hoping to have it up and running in 3 more days. In the meantime, it is hard to find a store that has food or an operating gas station.
ss-i-l