Sunday, July 01, 2012

SOMETIMES…


As I get older, the news seems to be getting worse by the day. For years you take things for granted and think nothing will change, but surprise of surprises, everything changes eventually.

My brother-in-law John is fighting a battle with lung cancer, and we as a family are concerned. Each time I go to visit him or call about him, I usually get a report that makes me sorry I ask, but when you care you do ask.

Then recently my older sister Tess (much older) called to tell me some good news, the cancer had shrunk! You could hear the celebration cheers going out loud and clear throughout the family. That is good news, and to celebrate, we are going to go to Cape May New Jersey to spend a few days on the shore and just chill out in grateful relief. We will savor the days with just making John and Tess enjoy themselves for a change. It will be their vacation, and their time.

Me, I will drive and I will be as accommodating as I can so the guy can just be happy. His breathing is difficult for him, but if need be, and he can’t get out to dinner, we will have the food delivered to us. I will drive him down to the beach to watch the sunset he will rent a scooter while down there and we will try to go out to the board walk and maybe just the area where the fun is going on the most at the time.

This is going to be good for me, because I can then do something for someone else beside myself. We will get some beer, and while my older sister Tess (much older) and TLW (The Little Woman) go out on their own, John and I will just relax on a porch with a few beers and watch the world go by, talk baseball and maybe remind ourselves that life can be good.

1 comment:

Michele DePalo said...

What a wonderful plan. It really does make you feel good when you can help make others happy, even for a little while, doesn't it? Your family sounds so much like mine in their devotion to each other.