Thursday, August 30, 2012

I’LL SEE YOU, IN SEPTEMBER


Many years ago, while living in Brooklyn, at the end of summer, and you could tell it was because Mom had this perpetual smile painted across her lips, Dad would take me to either Pitkin Avenue or NYC to buy me new shoes and two suits for the opening of the new school year, along with two blue ties and about 4 or 5 white shirts and black socks.

I went to a parochial school where they made you wear a white shirt and blue tie. It was run by nuns for the girl’s side of the building and brothers and lay teachers for the boy’s side. They had a zero tolerance for fooling around and made sure we didn’t by separating us.

The school itself resembled a reformatory with it’s brick structure and imposing way it stood out on Aberdeen Street, and it was called: ‘Our Lady of Lourdes’. I called it ‘Our Lady or Lords’, because of the blind obedience they expected from me. I hated the place and the harshness of the teachers. They thought that learning was a physical experience, and that God would get me too if I didn’t learn or behave. Needless to say, I have been hiding ever since from God, waiting for the lightning bolt to strike.

Dad and I would get on the subway and head out to the store, and he would say to the salesman, I need two suits for my father here, bending his head in my direction. This got the obligatory chuckle needed to make the sale, and I of course was left feeling a little silly.


He would follow mom’s instructions: “Two suits, one blue and one grey.” Two pairs of shoes: “One black and one brown.” We then rounded out the ensemble with socks two blue ties and the white shirts.

We would then go home, and I had to try on the suits for the boss, while Dad hoped he didn’t screw it up. We would eat dinner and Mom would further ruin my day by telling me I had to get a haircut, like it was my fault that my hair grew long, or that I didn’t get one already.

The day after the first day of school was the most troubling. By now I knew I hated my teacher and why, and I had to give her money for my books, I was in a place I didn’t want to be in, missed being free, and wanted to go home. Instead, they were giving me books I didn’t want after I opened them for the first time and took a whiff

The days were still hot, my clothes were not summer wear and there was NO AIR CONDITIONING in the building! The witch was about to slap me with homework that I was supposed to memorize and return the next day to recite my catechism lesson by rote, and be able to read from my reader. Yes, they were indeed pushing my endurance.

Meanwhile Tess, my older sister (much older) was doing her homework like a brat and making me look bad.

Mom would then begin the ritual known as advancing Joe DelBloggolo’s academic career that afternoon before supper:

“JOSEPH, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!”

“OK”

“NOW!”

“OK”

“PUT THOSE COOKIES DOWN AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK NOW” as she reached for a little gentle persuasion, her wooden spoon!

Some habits are hard to break
I was always a little rebellious, testing: the limits of anyone’s endurance, including teachers, principles and priests, let alone mother or father. Dad was smart: he would turn all disciplinary issues over to a higher authority, Mom, who would threaten me with my father: “Just wait until your father comes home!”

Then one day Mom really scared me, she said: “Waaait, just wait until you have kids, you’ll have one just like YOU!” I thought that mean, scary and not nice. Besides, she needed some challenge: Tessie my older sister (Much older) was doing every thing right, her homework and even cleaning the house, never swore or cursed!

But I digress, the fall was the hardest part of the school year for me in Brooklyn, the rest of the year then went downhill.


No comments: