Friday, August 10, 2012

WHAT’S GNU?


Many years ago, while working for a major direct marketer, I worked with a lady who was a talented copywriter and good friend. Her name was Ronnie and she had a great core for humor and telling fun stories. I keep in touch with her on the phone, and on occasion have collaborated in business adventures in direct marketing.

One day she came to me and asked me to make her a card for a friend of hers, a gentleman who she hadn’t seen in a few years and said I should draw a picture of a gnu, and put on the card: ‘What’s Gnu?’

Spending the weekend at a 50th anniversary recently you see all the people from the past, people I haven’t seen in years. Some of them look older, and some about what they looked like years ago. No one got younger or ‘gnuer.’

But what is disturbing was the people that were little kids when I saw them last, older, with children themselves. There are a lot of unaccounted years to speak of! REALLY, WHAT HAPPENED? Where did the time go? Seeing a couple that had little children when I first met them now are celebrating 50 years of marriage! Then I think; MY GOD! In 9 years I’m married 50 years! Is all this possible?

Then I thought about it, and realize that when I have been married 50 years, I will throw a surprise party. That is correct, a surprise party for my guest: they will be surprised as I am that I am having this party, who thought she would live with me for fifty years, they figured a few weeks tops. So this party will be gnus to them.


No comments: