Wednesday, October 17, 2012

GOOD THINGS HAPPEN

CEO

A few nights ago, I went to what is called a general membership meeting for my daughter’s agency. This meeting is a meeting open to the public and anyone may attend. It is also an occasion to make mention of something special, recognize someone or install directors onto the board.

This particular evening was dedicated to a house for residents that we are renovating. It was in long-standing neglect, and abused by the utility companies that serviced it. I was asked a few years ago by the Board to go to the home and evaluate it, and make a report to the board both written and verbally.

On my visit I found the outside crumbling, and it disturbed me to the point that I got angry. Outside the building were strung wires, by both the phone and cable companies and LIPA. These wires were exposed and looked like a map on a board for a railroad, crossing haphazardly and little care was given to the residents and how they may have fell about it.

I went further along the building and found the rest of the building in disrepair, rails attached to steps on the entrances coming lose from the building, pipe used as a railing, the remnants of the State of NY when they sold it to us. We as an agency when we build a home, take great care and pride, we put in all the safety precautions we can and make it as beautiful as possible for these wonderful sweet people who live in them. To find the state of disrepair in this old house shocked me.

I went inside the building and met with the folks who live there, along with the live-in house parent, who all related to me their dismay in how their home looked on the outside. I asked about the wires and they said the agency had been trying for years to have it corrected but were told by the utilities that nothing could be done!
I went back to the board with my report and wrote an unemotional appeal, telling all. A year went by, and in that year a new head of the agency was now in place and off I went to inspect the building once again. What I found enraged me: nothing had changed! But to the credit of the new administration, he was just settling in, and I knew I could deal with this situation with a good man. I wrote an angry fact-filled report to the board and furthered my cause before the board verbally.

Under renovation
 If we have nothing in our agency, we have great staff, and our CEO and CFO are wonderful administrators, doing only excellent work and they didn’t disappoint. The wheels started to turn and so we came to the event a few nights ago.

I sat with a few of the residents and they were happy to see me, the house was dedicated to a wonderful caring and giving woman who had passed away and so her family was in attendance to accept the sincere thanks of our agency.

Today that house, newly renovated has given pride to the residents, joy to the staff that run it, and they can be proud of what the agency does for those we serve.

As for me, I am grateful too, because the board and staff were probably tired of hearing from me.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

It's OK to be a pain in the ass for a good cause. Well done.