Friday, November 23, 2012

EYE CANDY


That's Michele, second from the left
As a retired designer and semi-retired artist, being how I am by myself most of the time with new interest and needs, I don’t often get to travel down the path of aesthetic appreciation. When a chance presents itself: I go and enjoy. Recently just such an occasion occurred.

While perusing Facebook, I came across a posting from an old high school buddy of mine who is a fellow artist having been in the commercial field, and who took on photography as an additional avenue of artistic exploration and expression, where I choose to write.

Her name is Michele DePalo, aka Michele DeVito, which is an interesting name change if ever there was one.

'For The Birds'
Michele had three pieces in the art show at the Sachem Public Library presented by the Brookhaven Arts & Humanities Council. The photos were interesting observations of country life, with a keen connection with direction, color and space; that make these photos so beautiful, but also lend comment to everyday life.

I could only find two of the three photos she did, the one missing was called, ‘Past Their Prime’, showing some railroad passenger cars retired and rusting, making one feel the years and wear that these cars show.

But the two you see here, are excellent indications of her photographic eye, and are quite expressive. My favorite, ‘For The Birds’ is very simple in scope, and yet almost makes up a story about a bird village if you will. The colors dance along the way as your eye scans from one to the other.
'Amethyst Shop'

‘Amethyst Shop’, once again lets you in on the secrets of the past, the beautiful colors of the flowers, supported by the direction of the lines and the space and shape they form, while giving you a sense of age, and wonder of the place itself.

It makes me proud to see a classmate of mine do something so beautiful, and my guess is it is not hard work for her to find beauty in anything, with her keen artistic eye. A lovely woman with a beautiful sense of what eye candy really means.

Michele, great job and don’t stop, the world needs beautiful things, and you deliver!

2 comments:

Michele DePalo said...

What a surprise to check in on your blog and find it is all about me! I am very appreciative of your kind, and beautifully stated, commentary on my photographs. I respect your artistic opinion, so your words mean a lot to me. Thank you for your inspiring words.

Jim Pantaleno said...

You have a great eye, Michele. Keep shooting.