Thursday, November 22, 2012

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

-->
How many turkeys do you see in this picture?
Another year anther turkey, and life keeps churning on.

It seems that of all the holidays, Thanksgiving is strictly about food and drink, a culinary journey over familiar ground. In my family growing up, although it was a holiday, and it was festive, we didn’t give it the importance of Christmas or Easter. If it weren’t for TV and the newspapers, we might have missed it.

Mom had a pot that she took out once a year when we had turkey on Thanksgiving Day. That was the only time of the year: the only day we actually ate turkey. That was before turkey rolls and breasts were sold as cold cuts and you could make it for dinner. Never liked turkey all that much and still don’t. Could live without it.
His eminence at dinner

Many people make it for Christmas, and I think: Why are they doing that, it’s not Thanksgiving! Then many people make ham on Thanksgiving and I think: Why are they doing that, it’s Thanksgiving! It’s a tradition to me but not by much, yet there are many things I remember about those Thanksgivings past.

The meaning of the holiday has always stayed with me however, when I think about what this country is all about. I don’t necessarily mean the government so much as the people who make us a country. We Have lived in relative peace all our lives as a nation, and our Constitution proclaim us as: “We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense…” something we take as our right.
FROM THE 2 OF US!

When I think about all those guys and gals who are serving away from their homes and families, while the fat headed politicians are breaking bread with theirs, I wonder where the justice is, then I realize that they who serve, serve the highest calling, and we should be proud of them, their sacrifice and we should take better care of them when they return, with free medical for them and the rest of their families for the rest of their lives. That means that when they marry, they get it for their spouse and children too.

Maybe I think without my head, but what the Hell, they will probably be away serving on Christmas too!

HAVE A HAPPY THINKSGIVING DAY!

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Ellen. Now eat your turkey!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to Delbloggolo and all your readers!

-#1 Son