Thursday, November 15, 2012

IT MAKES ME PROUD


Just some of them!
With all the pain and sorrow that was experienced in the death of my brother-in-law John, something beautiful occurred that made me proud once again of my sons. Both of them had an excuse and a pass from me to stay where they were and not come to the funeral.

Michael
My #1 Son Anthony, who works on a tight schedule, a demanding job in Los Angeles flew in, dropping everything he had to do to pay his respects to his uncle John because he had a heavy heart and needed to.

Then there is #2 Son Michael, who was in the midst of mid-terms up in Purchase, hand-cuffed with a late scheduled class, traveling all night and arriving at 3:00 AM to attend his Uncle’s funeral, refusing to take my offer to pass, because he had a heavy heart and needed to also.

As I returned to the funeral parlor that sad day to say goodbye, as I entered with my beautiful wife, we had my sons with us, we were grateful and proud of our boys!
Add caption
It made me particularly proud of my; niece Annmarie and nephew Chris, along with his wife Kim who live locally and showed up immediately at the hospital on a moments notice while my brother-in-law was still alive. And my nephews David from Florida and Marc and his sister Jean-Marie from Connecticut who dropped their little children and came over from the ferry with their sister Katie who flew from San Diego and connected with her sibs to attend! And my niece Sara and her husband Alex, along with Greg, Annmarie’s husband, all attending: giving comfort to my sister’s family in their hours of pain and need.

You have no idea how proud it would have made Grandpa knowing his family was so responsive, generous and loving to bring that comfort. But why not, why shouldn’t they be supportive, it is in their blood, in their collective hearts, in their very being. As it were, my sisters Joanne and her husband Don, Mary Ann and Fran and her husband Tom, all scattered in different parts of the country, rushing in and being there with me as we tried to hold up a beautiful family that needed comfort and understanding. Once family, always family!

If you don’t believe in God, then you don’t believe in family and friends. They are God, they are the handiwork of the creator: surely the comfort came from HIS hand in all of those I spoke of, through their hearts.


3 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

The hurt of losing someone close lingers. Having family around helps us get through. So glad yours was there for you.

Michele DePalo said...

Joe, you are truly blessed with such a warm, loving and close family. Your parents did a terrific job in raising the five of you, and you each in, turn, in raising your own children with deeply imbedded love and respect for family. This is very rare in this day and age. You have every right to be proud!

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Thank you guys! It is good to have people who recognize the 'Old' values!