Friday, December 14, 2012

THE MAYOR COMES TO VISIT


It was a quiet Saturday morning, and we as a family were busy doing our Saturday morning things; chores, watching cartoons or eating, maybe fixing and house chores when the routine was interrupted by a loud and forceful knock on the door. Being the man of the house, I was ordered to answer it.

On the other side of the door stood a handsome gentleman I had never seen before, a man maybe a little older than me. He introduced himself to me as Sam, the neighborhood mayor. I instantly took a liking to the guy and invited him in, and we went into the dining room and sat over a cup of coffee as he explained his mission to me, the reason for his visit.

“I’m organizing a neighborhood block party, and I’m asking all the neighbors to come and to bring something to the party!” He further explained his plans and being new to the neighborhood who some of the neighbors were and what they did, how many children they had and so forth.  It was literally an introduction to the neighborhood 101.

But Sam was a guy that just didn’t end it there: no, he became a fixture along with his lovely wife Rose and his three kids in my family’s life, a generous man of by all means and one that invited you into his home and made you feel welcomed.

Then in the early 80’s we moved from the neighborhood and except for a few times, really never connected again. He came to the house one day to say hello and I did the same to him, and then about 12 or 13 years ago TLW (The Little Woman) and I were out taking a walk, when we noticed this Model-T drive by, putting along and we glanced at the driver. Something clicked in my head and I said to TLW: “I know that guy! That’s Sam from our old neighborhood!” Apparently the car passed us, stopped and beeped the horn and backed up, it WAS Sam!  We chatted from the step of the sideboard as he explained he was in a club that worked on Model-T’s and was in the neighborhood to meet with one of the members.  It was a sweet homecoming in a way, and all the good feelings that we shared so long ago were once again present. Sam was a special guy then and stayed that way.

Fast forward 12 or 13 years, and TLW comes home from work and says: “Guess who I saw today? (I always have to work for my news from TLW)

“Who?” (Four years of college)

“Sam! Sam Vivas!”

“SAM VIVAS!!!”

“Yes, he didn’t recognize me, then I mentioned my name and he still didn’t! But then I said “Joe” and he lit up and remembered YOU!”

The years changed Sam just as they changed me. He lost his lovely wife Rose a number of years ago, and he is grey now, but that Spanish charm and sunny disposition remained according to TLW. Maybe I’ll go back to the old neighborhood and surprise him soon: kind of relive the good feeling that once was, I deserve it.

No comments: