Monday, January 14, 2013

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF DELBLOGGOLO…

-->
Many years ago.

It was today, January 14th, 1971 and a big evening was planned. TLW (The Little Woman) and I had made a prior announcement that we were getting married, and so were planning to go to the diamond district in Manhattan to pick up her engagement ring, where we had gone previously to select the combination of diamond and wedding bands. It was a special day for TLW since she was taking a misguided gamble on commitment to me. I on the other hand was informed to not waste a breath, or movement, or a moment’s time in marrying her, since she was such a great catch. My father-in-law had an Irish accent, but I understood.

The plan was simple, get the ring and on Valentine’s Day, we would make it official, ring and all.

I met TLW at her building on 42nd Street the Mobil Oil building after work, where we would walk over to the Diamond District. Since both of us worked in Manhattan, her executive’s secretary and me a designer we knew the city. Having an in at the jewelry center for diamonds, she had picked out what she wanted and I paid for it. Tonight we would pick up the ring and I would take it home until February 14th.

She wanted a pear-shaped diamond on white gold, and the stone stood up proudly on the white gold band when I saw it for the first time. A nice size stone about the size of the hole in my pocket, but who was complaining, I was getting a wonderful gal. Her dad had a way of saying things!

Getting to the jewelry store where the diamond ring was made, she excitedly tried it on and it fit! She waved it around and after a few moments of happiness, we placed it in the box and I put it in my breast pocket until February. As I did so, sadness came over her eyes as if she was losing an old friend. I felt bad and thought I should really give it to her immediately, but I got the better of my emotions.

Off we went to Penn Station and the Riverside Restaurant, where they served the largest platter of ribs you could imagine! The place was packed and the din was continuous, but I was in love, those ribs were BIG!

That evening I kissed her goodnight and went home, parking the car in my parent’s driveway, I checked my breast pocket for the umpteenth time to make sure the ring was still there. Locking the car door, I made a decision.

TOMORROW: MAKE ROOM IN THE AISLE!


1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Goodie, a serial. Can't wait for part 2.