Tuesday, January 15, 2013

MAKE ROOM IN THE AISLE

She got even better with age!

Friday mornings on the LIRR back in the 70’s were happy mornings. People were more lively and friendly, and looking forward to the ride home that night to launch their weekend. Unlike Monday mornings, where the faces are as long as the ties worn, joy abounded.

Somewhat sleepy from the night before, I was also nervous. Having seen the engagement ring, the look on TLW (The Little Woman) and the idea of having to hold it until a month later for Valentine’s Day to announce our engagement, life was becoming complicated and uncertain, and TLW was about to board the train. I had a plan in place as she came aboard.

Greeting her that morning, her nose red from the cold and looking sleepy, she took off her coat on the overheated car and sat down. Wearing a maroon suit, she was unsuspecting as to what was coming next.

Without saying a word, I reached into my inside pocket of my three-piece suit and gave her the ring. There was shock on her face and suddenly it lit up.

“I thought you were going to wait until Valentine’s Day!?” she said.

“Nah, why wait?”

Suddenly she whipped the ring on and jumped up to show everyone on the train the ring, parading down the aisle as she stuck out her hand and showed it off.

Coming in for a landing she says:

“Why didn’t you tell me you were going to do this, I would have dressed better!”

And so I have been second-guessed ever since, amen. End of story. End of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.