Friday, January 25, 2013

THE PLUMBER COMETH!


Tessie my older sister (much older) and I needed a plumber to come to mom’s house for some repairs to a pipe in her basement. We got a recommendation and made the call, and Nick the plumber was coming to pay us a visit!

The big day arrived and Tessie my older sister (much older) and I awaited with much anticipation, after all Nick the plumber was coming. We are not talking a Harvard or Yale graduate, a member of the President’s staff or even the President himself, not even the Pope, but a plumber! I mean the other guys you can get any time, but a plumber, even more revered than an electrician!

As we waited in mom’s house, the snow was starting to fall and the gloom of a late afternoon was settling in. Like a ray of sun had burst out from the clouds, a white van suddenly appeared.

“MY GOD! He’s here, the plumber is here!” Tessie my older sister (much older) blessed herself and genuflected, and frankly I thought it a bit much, although I WAS prepared to kiss his ring or wrench.

His Plumbness entered through the front door, the neighbors peering from their curtained windows, but I could feel the eyes were all on us now. He had an entourage of assistance, a ‘go for’ with rabbit feet and a hood over his head.

Sticking a small business card in my face, I read the card and am informed it is indeed, Nick the Plumber! I could feel the joy of having a plumber even if it was Mom’s house. These events are highly unusual and should be savored as much as possible, who knows if I will ever see this in my life-time again?

I wondered how to address him. Do I say ‘Mr. Nick’ or ‘Your plumbness’ or would a simple ‘Sir’ suffice? I mulled over ‘Mr. Sir Your Plumbness’ but decided to speak only when spoken to, not look directly in the eyes and to answer the question as quickly and simply as possible.

“”What seems to be the problem?”

“Joseph, he has spoken! You talk to him”

“Leaky pipe in basement we think.” I didn’t want to offend him and make him think I was a know it all.

“Why don’t we have a look?”

He was including me in the look! You can’t imagine the honor or the feeling of gratitude and humility I felt, suddenly as if it were a feverish wave that overcame my humble body!

Down into the bowels of the house we went, me, Tessie my older sister (much older), the hooded stranger and his plumbness. He held a wand like lamp, a symbol of his high status in life, and a reminder of constant reverence and began pointing it into the hole in the ceiling where the leak was.

“Looks like you have a leaky pipe!” he intoned, the words echoing off the basement walls. I thought of Dad and how proud he would have been of me for getting a plumber not only in the house but deep into the bowels of the house. I made myself a mental note to mark the day on the calendar. I was going to mention to Mom but thought better of it, after all the shock on her 94-year old body would be too much.

He orders rabbit feet to go to the truck and get a utility knife and bucket and to remove the crumbling ceiling part.

Reaching up into the newly cut away ceiling, he looks around with his perpetual light, (may it shine on all your plumbing), his plumbness makes what I knew was coming next: “It’s an old part!”

Tessie my older sister (much older) says under her breath: “Joe, he speaks once more, maybe we should take notes or record it?”

I, gathering up all my senses and trying to act worthy of the conversation with a plumber says: “Oh?”

“Yes, I will have to see if I can get the part you need and I will call YOU, tomorrow if I do, stay near a phone.”

His plumbness left and Tessie my older sister (much older) and I sat for a moment or two in the chairs no one has ever sat in before, because Mom wouldn’t let us, and reflected on the day, the day the plumber cometh.

COMING SOON: HIS PLUMBNESS RETURNETH!

2 comments:

Gayle Manning said...

Oh my, I was laughing the whole time I was reading your post! Now it’s got me thinking about how I handled my own meetings with a plumber that comes over to fix our leaky pipe. Haha! So, was His Plumbness able to showcase his prowess in fixing leaky pipes? I can’t wait to read the next post!

Darryl Iorio said...

His Plumbess, Nick the plumber! I love how he knows everything and can state facts that you already know! I guess at least he did not wait a few days to grace you again with his presence. Waiting in bated breath for that long is hard work.

-- Darryl