Saturday, February 23, 2013

GEE JETER


Maybe I should use a picture without that hat.
Being a Mets fan since their existence began, I have followed them and cried and died just about every season except three. I also hate the Yankees, a team that is always better than my Mets and everybody else for that matter, and because of their money and so much of it, they have the advantage of getting or buying the best players every season.

But… I really think there are some things to be said about the Yankees, mainly two words: Derrick Jeter.

Let’s face it folks, Jeter has been a perfect example of what happens when you do things right, when you dedicate yourself to doing your trade as best you can and that he has.

When you hear about and read about the many ballplayers who have used PED’s or steroids to enhance their performance, who spend untold money for an edge, then you see just how special men like Jeter are, and how much you have to appreciate his abilities, his dedication and class he brings not only to the game, but more importantly, himself.
Ah! Much better!
Let’s face the facts, that baseball with all the records and stats that it lives by, have to be questioned since players and cheaters like Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire and countless others have cheated and gone into the record books with these questionable numbers.

Recently there has been talk about Jeter retiring because he is getting too old, that he is slowing down, that his ability to move laterally has lessened. In his position as shortstop, that is important, and maybe I should be happy about that, but I’m not. I wish I could have seen Honus Wagner play, I wish I could have seen more of Pee Wee Reese play, and all the great shortstops that did turn the DP, but Jeter is still playing, and he is not only an all star, he is a certain Hall of Famer.

But what I think they should do with this guy is take his life, and use it as an example to young boys about how great you can be by working hard and dedicating yourself to your trade while avoiding drugs. Drugs have brought down too many super-stars and rightfully, many are being denied the Hall of Fame and should be, but drugs has also brought them one more thing: disgrace!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed 100%! I'm so happy I got the opportunity to see this guy play and wish the Mets had someone like him. I just wish he didn't have to be so damn handsome, too.

-#1 Son

Michele depalo said...

Very nice article about Jeter. I think no matter what team a fan is committed to, there are really very few people that do not respect and admire him. (You had me going for a second there, though, in your last paragraph when it sounded like you wanted someone to do him in. Only goes to show you, punctuation is very important!)