Thursday, February 14, 2013

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY

It’s that time of the year when we all get mushy and kissy faced. Yes that significant other is now in the spotlight once again.

We’ve been spending Valentines Day together for 42 years, and I recall the first one we spent as a newly married couple.

We were living in a small apartment on Munsell Road in East Patchogue, as she was pregnant with my daughter and I was working in NYC for an ad agency. Going home I had a bouquet of one dozen red roses (her favorite) and a box of Perugina Chocolates called Bacci, in means ‘kiss’ in Italian. This was my first married Valentine’s Day with TLW (The Little Woman) and I was eager to get home.

As I entered the apartment through the kitchen side door, I could smell her cooking, and the cold February night made the light from the kitchen and the wonderful smells, while being greeted by my beautiful wife all very inviting.

I immediately gave her the flowers and the candy, which she opened. Then she gave me my Valentine’s gift. A pair of boxer shorts with cash registers and hearts coming out of them and it said: “Love hits the jackpot!”

But the good news was that and I never forgot it when I get her chocolate candies is that she doesn’t care for chocolate candies!

She’s still beautiful and doesn’t like chocolate, so I always get her the best I can find!

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Any chance of you posting a picture in those boxers?

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Well Jim, I wore them last about 41 years ago, I'll have to check the hamper.