Monday, February 04, 2013

SHE COULD REALLY SMOKE!


When one of my baby sisters wasn’t having her coming out party: she was busy letting other things out.

I used to get up at 5:00 AM to catch a 5:45 train to Jamaica Station to change for a north shore line to Syosset every morning when attending college in 1964. Getting up was difficult, and getting up in the winter harder still.
same thing only daytime
Around late January or early February, I was getting up and going into the shower like I always did, (cleanliness was next to Godliness back then too!) and in my bare feet to save on shoes, I would step into the shower.

For months this was working out really well when suddenly, one morning something went terribly wrong! Stepping into the shower, a cold blast of air and a frigid tub floor greeted me, almost knocking me over! The window over the tub was open! Who would leave a window open in the bathroom in the middle of a winter night? Picking up my teeth, and watching the hairs standing up on my arms, legs chest and head (I had some there then) aided by the goose pimples, I reached the windowsill and closed the window, and thought nothing of it.

The next morning I went to my usual routine of shower, still ever mindful of godliness, etc. when I stepped into the tub. Suddenly a Yogi Berra moment occurred. I had Déjà vu’ all over again! SOMEONE HAD LEFT THE #^(&!*% WINDOW OPEN AGAIN! Twice in one week? Either someone was creating awful stink bombs and needed to evacuate in house in a hurry or else something else was going on.

That night while eating dinner, little sis walked by, and I had my answer to the mystery of the open window! I asked: “What time did you go to bed last night?” She answers about 1:00 pm, why?” She was smoking! Smoking in the bathroom around mid-night after Dad went to bed and was leaving the window open, it was a cry to be discovered! I went outside under the bathroom window to look for butts, but none were there! Then it hit me: she was tossing them in the toilet!

No comments: