Sunday, February 24, 2013

WE’RE ALL GETTING OLD!


Visiting my mother the other day, sitting with us was my older sister Tessie (Much older) and the topic of conversation was getting old. Got me to thinking about how I feel sometimes when I feel my age.

Furinstance:

It’s a cold night, frigid and I get into the car. The car is always parked just outside the garage door, never having been in my garage. I get in and all the hairs on my goose bumps stand up and say hello. I pause and try to get used to the cold that is creeping all over my body.

I return home from a long ride on that very same frigid day or maybe night, and I turn off the car, now I have to move to get out of the comfort of the car into the cold! It seems the cold enters my clothes via the nape of my neck and just branches out as I attempt to step out of behind the steering wheel.

I am taking a pill, I look at it and think: this is easy to drop, I better be careful! I drop it.

I bend down to get the dropped pill, spoon, fork, pencil, or just name it, grab hold of it and while down there, drop it again, feeling like a Klutz.

I feel like watching a little TV while I eat a sandwich, after all, I’ve already read the newspapers and lunch usually doesn’t come with a cereal box. I turn on the set and there is a commercial, not one but enough to leave me wondering why I put on the damned thing to begin with.

I change the channel: more commercials!

I wake up from a great sleep, I am in a perfect position and it is soooo comfortable, I realize it is Monday, I force myself to get up to say goodbye to TLW (The Little Woman) who has to go to work. I think I’ll just go down say goodbye and have a cup of coffee before I do anything else. I look out the window and there it is: snow, all over her car, I have to clean it off! So much for comfort, I have to get dressed, put on the cold weather gear and start facing the frigid cold morning air!

I did some reading recently on the Internet and found out that people who go into another room and when they get there forget why they went! Apparently as you pass the door, it seems to compartmentalize your mind and close off the thought process that occurred in the first room. I don’t need a door, but it IS nice to blame it instead of getting old!

I’m cooking, and there is one little detail that needs to be done towards the end. Maybe adding some wine or even a simple thing like adding some water to the bottom of a pan, everything is going great and it looks great, but you forgot to do what you reminded yourself to do.

My favorite though is when I changed clothes to go out. My car doesn’t need a key to turn it on, just be on my person somewhere and I can unlock and start the car. I get dressed, go out to the car after locking the front door, and the car doesn’t open! I left the keys in the other pants, behind locked doors, along with my house and car keys!

I make a mental note to read an article about Alzheimer’s disease, but forgot!

I take solace in the fact that we are all getting old, but I seem to do it without grace!

No comments: