Tuesday, April 23, 2013

GETTING OLD IS HARD TO DO


But it does come easy! Just don’t pay attention, and one day you ask: “Where did all the time go?” Then you look around and realize you are not alone, it is a crowded boat you are in. But you take comfort that at least it isn’t anything you did wrong that made you old.

Doing old age is another story! Just getting up from a chair sometimes can be an adventure, and sitting just as challenging. When I got up from a chair as a young man, I got up, fast, didn’t even think about it. Now, I usually make a statement afterwards that goes: “Ouch!”

Moving from room to room, can be a challenge when once I get there, I wonder why I got there, what was the reason again? It is not dementia: it is a mind that races while it also recalls, plans and thinks, all at once, the beauty of old age.

But complaining is foolish, it doesn’t help and I actually enjoy some aspects. I think that I am a little wiser, a little more accepting, and I have done major changing of my mind of many things and people.

Recently I got a phone call from one of my sisters, crying on the phone about a special friend she has, a sweet and wonderful woman who I know for many years and consider a friend too. This woman found out she has cancer, and my sister feels that pain, having lost her husband not too long ago. It makes us all feel that this is our lot in life, to start the process that breaks us down physically.

I am lucky. I have lived this long and hope to live longer. I have met some wonderful people in my life and I think there are plenty more to meet, yet. Some friends of mine have gone long ago, and some more recently, so I won’t complain about getting older, it IS in the agreement when I was born to get older. I just wish everyone this chance.

As a witness to history and a subscriber to future history, many wonderful things have occurred, as well as tragic, but it made for some interesting days, and the future does look exciting.

I am convinced that retirement is probably the greatest gift I could give to myself. I have discovered that I can read those books I wanted to, view those movies I always said I had to watch, and had a chance to listen to the other side of the arguments I’ve debated for so many years and take the time to listen and maybe even change my mind about those positions.

Retirement also offers the chance to sit back and think about those you love, appreciate their existence, and marvel at how patient they were with me! I love serving on my various committees, love the idea that I can help people that need help and I make a difference, and for those who I tried to help, well I am sorry if I didn’t, but I did try.

If anything else, if I get too caught up in life, I can always turn to the things that make me laugh, and reward myself for trying.





No comments: