Friday, April 12, 2013

QUESTIONING EVERYTHING

-->
It seems I’m getting very edgy and suspicious in my old age. I used to believe everything people in authority told me and I never waivered. Then one day I saw a little discrepancy in things I thought were true and began the journey to doubt.

Perhaps the biggest mistake I made in life was believing a doctor’s nurse. It seems we had an issue with one of the kids and the nurse who answered the phone told me what we should do. I did it and discovered that she was dead wrong! I not only got angry, but to this day I will not talk to a nurse when it comes to medical decisions.

My doctor, Dr. Strangeglove
Then there was the doctor himself (in general) hearing too many horror stories about doctors and their mistakes led me to question them and although it can be uncomfortable for both of us, I feel better asking the questions and speaking up. The doctor was always gospel to me, now, no more.

I won’t tell you what I think about religion in general and some of the things I was led to believe they say are true, I questioned them and the more I question, the more problems I have with it all, tossing old beliefs aside like used Kleenex.

Politics- well I am so alienated by politicians and the backbone of politics, both the media and the law profession, I get angered and disappointed, horrified and disillusioned by what I hear and see today.

Funny thing is I am becoming more tolerant of the fact that I was duped but grateful that I see the discrepancies and falsehoods I have come upon. I don’t harbor any anger, nor do I feel that those who do believe in what they do should change. I don’t think I’m better than those people, just a little different, not wiser.

I notice there are other people out there who feel the same way I do, with similar backgrounds and experiences. I think we are all coming into a new age, enlightenment so to speak, maybe even a renaissance! I think it is good to question, to bring pressure on all the old institutions and make them prove otherwise, it frees up the mind, cleanses the spirit and refuels the needy machine of learning, especially the truth.

If I could give you one example, it would be the day you learn as your parents child, that they were not always correct, that you can view in another light, and it doesn’t upset you.

And so this story…

There was an old Jewish couple, married for 50 years, and the husband Jake one day asked his wife Ruth if she ever in those fifty years cheated on him.

Ruth was a little hesitant at first then decided to come clean.

“Yes Jake I did.”

“Oh! How many times?” he asked, shocked.

“Well Jake… three times” Her head was down and she could not look up at him.

“Three times! When?”

Summoning up the courage to even talk to him she began:

“Well Jake, remember that time when we were first married, and we wanted that nice apartment we had, how the landlord was such a schmuck about our being late with the rent one month and wanted to throw us out on our keisters? Well I paid him a little visit, and we didn’t get thrown out.”

“Oh, and what about the second time?” Jake asked, feeling nervous.

“The second time, Jake, was when we bought our house, and the bank president wanted that ridiculous amount of money for a down payment, you remember that Jake? She asked.

“Yes, yes I do, he came down with the amount of money.”

“Yes Jake, he did, because… I paid him a little visit.” At this point she is about to leave when Jake speaks up.

“WAIT… What about the third time, you said there was three times?”

“Now remember Jake, I did all this for you, can you remember that?” she asks.

“Go on” says Jake, “what happened?”

“Well, remember last year when you were running for condominium board president, and you were 15 votes short?”

No comments: