Thursday, April 04, 2013

THE SIMPLER IT GETS, THE HARDER IT SEEMS!


Recently on the social network, where I frequent for some reason, there was a picture of a friend of mine with a dog on her lap. The dog is a BIG dog, but thinks it is a lap dog. The picture was cause for me to comment about the books that were set neatly in a book holder. What amazed me about the picture was the fact that she still had books! I though: “Gee, no problems with back lighting with one of those!”

TLW, (The Little Woman) was complaining about her Kindle once and the fact that it has no back lighting, which made her go out and get a newer version. Then once the back lighting problem was solved, the issue of the battery became large. It seems she took her kindle to work and on her lunch hour and her Kindle went dead for lack of power!

Reading a book requires NO backlighting and NO power from electricity. This sounds like an improvement to a Kindle. Just think, take a book to work and it never and I mean NEVER runs out of power!

For years now I have been using my laptop. It gets me my emails, I can communicate on Facebook, and I can get all the news and facts I want instantaneously. This is great, yes it needs power, but once you power up to 100% you can unplug for a few hours if you wish. The TLW got me an I-pad, which should do all these things plus act as a Kindle, camera and special effects camera too. For it to have meaning: you need ‘apps’ like an I-phone. Every time you put in a new app, and go to use whatever you downloaded, it asks for a password. I get frustrated when I need to remember a password, and go from a Kindle or I-pad or laptop, all asking for passwords and the reminders out there to not use the same password. Plus sometimes the damned thing refuses to go on line!

Are we overextending ourselves? Have we entered the world of redundancy with both feet in the air? Where are we headed with the newest innovations in electronics? You know this all started when I purchased a calculator from a friend back in 1976 that still works by the way.  Slowly the world of electronics started with the invention of the battery and had blossomed into this meg-bucks industry of battery and charger generated electronic toys, designed with only one purpose in mind, to confuse me. I don’t think I’m clear on a ‘Blackberry’ or a ‘Blue Tooth’ device. I always thought that if you ate a blackberry you would get a blue tooth or two.

Just as I was getting a handle on browsers and search engines, they rearrange Facebook, causing me to lose confidence in Yahoo, who while I was sleeping rearranged everything I knew.
 
Back to books, once when people just read books, their library was a sense of pride. You displayed your books on a shelf with the titles sticking out to show what you read, and who you were. Some people bought fancy covered books that they never read and pretended they were something they were not. I used to do tons of ads for book clubs with that kind of psychology in mind, and it sold!

WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE DOING NOW?

Then it dawned on me. I see these people walking around with their noses stuck in their Kindles, not reading but open to their ‘electronic’ bookshelf, just in case you happen to bump into them!

No comments: