Sunday, May 05, 2013

FROM DUST TO DUST


As the sun rises in the east, it seems to invade the whole house from my front door glass into my den and my eyes where I sit in my chair. At a certain low angle, it seems to highlight things that I don’t want to see.

I look dusty
One morning this past week, as I got up to put the re-cycles out, I cast a glance into the dining room, and could clearly see that dust had accumulated on the dining room table. Now the room is long and has a lot of furnishing in it, and this stopped me cold in my tracks. Diverting my route I got a duster and cleaned off the dust and started to remember a time long ago.

Many years ago, when I worked for a large direct mail company in Port Washington, NY, I was at a dinner of some kind I think for the holidays. I drove into the city and parked in a parking garage, with my brown Toyota. I was with one of my associates, and we went off to have a nice time and returned a few hours later, sometime near mid-night.

The parking lot attendant greeted us at the entrance and I tried to hand him my ticket, which I can’t find and he asks me what color the car is. I tell him ‘brown’ and he runs off to retrieve it. A few moments later he returns and says he can’t find the car!

“How can you lose my car?” (The same way I lost his ticket?) I protest. He says to me there are only two cars parked, one is white and one is grey! Then it hits me: “Is the grey car a Toyota by any chance?”

“Yes it is!”

“That’s me!”

I hadn’t cleaned it for a while and it had a grey caste in the dark shadows of the garage!

This blogue comes to you from the makers of: Dust, and Suzy Spotless!

No comments: