Friday, May 03, 2013

IT WAS A GOOD AND PRODUCTIVE LIFE

-->
There are people in this lifetime of mine who I could write a book about. As we all know there are some good people and there are some bad ones, all seem interesting and worthy of a glance or two. Then there are the exceptional, the people you admire from afar, the good, quiet dignity; the grace that surrounds them transcends the universe they center.

One such person is a lady that I have had the privilege to know since 1974. Her name is Mrs. Elizabeth Garrity. I first met her in a large house on the shores of New Jersey. She sat in a large dining room surrounded by her large family. The occasion was a vacation for a few days for TLW (The Little Woman) and my two small children. To this day I call her Mrs. Garrity out of honest and deep respect.


I got to meet the lady first-hand. An Irishman through and through, she sparkled with her smile and calming welcome. By then all her children were grown and had children of their own. They gathered as a family, and it was certainly a vivid feeling that I still carry to this day. What impressed me was that all her children were so alive and friendly, giving and into each other. It reminded me of my own family and made me homesick for my sisters.

Mrs. Garrity’s husband Frank, was a special man, and had to be to be married to this lovely lady. He was devout and lived his religion without fanfare, and you just loved to talk to him. I remember one day, years later, after the ravages of old age caught him, he was suffering from dementia, sitting by himself on a porch one sunny day. It saddened me to see him in that condition, so I sat with him for a while and we tried to make conversation. He still held onto his dignity, his calmness and his classy manner, and I think that he was the corner stone of that family. The many children (10) all seemed to center around him and his lovely wife.

An educated and intelligent woman, Mrs. Garrity was the mason of that family: she was what epitomizes the concept of motherhood. She raised all these children, and brick by brick put them all together and made this wonderful family.

A few days ago we got the sad news that Mrs. Garrity had passed away. It is so final, so sad and yet we expected it. She lived to almost 95, falling short by about 20 days. Her children are in their 60’s and are grandparents themselves!

Mrs. Garrity lived a tough life, having lost a son Frank to cancer and has a daughter Annie who like my daughter suffers from developmental disabilities. She raised all these children, molded them if you will, and in turn they will impart some goodness on the world because of it.

I hope someday I can meet her again. I would love to sit next to her and let her tell me the story of her life: the many things that make humble, ordinary people rise to great heights and accomplish great things, without fanfare, without noise just humble quiet dignity, and class.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008, http://delbloggolo.blogspot.com/search?q=GRANDMA+REMINDS+US  I wrote a blogue about her, that will give you a sense of the lovely lady that is no more on earth, but in many hearts: lucky hearts to have known her. Rest in peace Mrs. Garrity, you deserve to.

Here is what her Grand-daughter wrote about her:

"To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Bessie A. Stanley

Yesterday I lost my 94-year-old grandmother. She was a generous and loving force in the world and in my life, and I'm blessed beyond belief to have known her and been loved by her. I will miss her every day, but I take comfort in the wonderful legacy she left behind: 10 kids, 20 grandkids, and 10 great-grandkids with two more on the way. Rest in peace, sweet Grandma. I love you.



No comments: