Thursday, May 23, 2013

OUTSTANDING!

-->
Years ago I had a guy that worked in my group under me. He had a dynamite portfolio and it impressed me enough that I hired him. Well it turns out it wasn’t: all his book and I sat him down one day and had a word with him. I told him his work was ‘outstanding’ which took him by surprise. I told him that ‘outstanding’ meant: ‘outside’ like in ownership of his job. He was fired and confused.

Recently on my foray into Chicago, my two sons and I took one day off from the ballgames and decided to sightsee the great city. One of the places I suggested to my sons was the Willis Tower, formerly known as the Sears Tower. It is 103 stories high and was within walking distance of the hotel. 



As we entered the building, there is a long prescribed path to the elevators, and along the way interesting facts about the building and people in the makeup of the structure.  As we progressed along the line, there was a sign with Oprah Winfrey’s picture that read something to the effect that the building was as high as so many Oprahs to reach the 103 stories. #1 Son, ever the comedian wondered out loud: “I wonder how many Oprahs wide it is?”

On the observation deck is an extension of the building made of clear plastic! The ceiling, walls and floors are all made of clear plastic and when you stand in it, you feel like you are standing in air, next to the building, 103 stories high!

You are: Outstanding!



Since #2 Son was a little skittish about it, I decided to convince him to take a step onto the deck and get the experience of a lifetime. He was game, after all the little kids were standing there and the parents (all cowards) stood off to the side! But behind me, watching #2 Son was a lady, laughing hysterically at him as he built the nerve. I didn’t see her go out there.

No comments: