Thursday, May 23, 2013

WHO’S PAYING FOR GRANDPA?


Leaving the bar after the Cubs/Mets game in Chicago, my sons and I headed toward the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) Red Line station at Addison, for the trip back into the center of Chicago and our hotel. The crowds had dissipated somewhat and so had our thirst.

The CTA has a system of cards that one purchases from a vending machine, where once you purchase, you can then stick it into the turnstile and it records so much money off it and allows you to pass through. This is an efficient system, which I tried to improve in my dotage.  How? Do you really want to ask? OK, I’ll tell you.

What you do is attempt to use your hotel key, that little card with the stripe that allows you to enter your hotel room. It is a nice working key for the duration of your stay, but it does not work on Chicago turnstiles owned by the CTA!

It seems it all happened while standing on the corner outside the station as I searched for my card, frantically, while #1 Son is watching. He suddenly spots what he thinks is my key and says: “There it is!” I believe him and hold the key until I get to the turnstile, where I attempt to stick in the card. Now I’m not blaming #1 Son, I should have looked myself, but his word is good to me.

Suddenly this lady who works for the CTA is laughing herself silly as my card is being rejected! I wonder why she is laughing so hard and at who, but boy, it sure is annoying. She finally comes over to me and I realize what has happened. #’s 1 and 2 sons are already through the turnstiles, and now they are laughing at me!

“You’re using your room key!” says #1 Son.

“HAAAA HAAA HA! WHO”S PAYING FOR GRANDPA? HAAAA HAAAA HA!

Now it was bad enough that she called me ‘Grandpa’ but the biggest pain to me was: I WAS USING THE HOTEL KEY FROM MY LOS ANGELES STAY A FEW WEEKS AGO!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A perfectly reasonable question would be: Why did you still have your hotel key from Los Angeles in your wallet?

-#1 Son

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Because I was afraid I'd lose my train ticket someday?