Tuesday, June 04, 2013

BEATING THEM TO IT!


We have a tradition in my house, pizza on a Friday night. This was instituted by TLW (The Little Woman) almost 42 years ago when we started our partnership. It seemed that TLW was tired of cooking all week, and pizza was her night off.

Mom would make fish or a pizza, but the liberated women of the ‘70s were different.

If we don’t have pizza on Friday night, TLW would be lost, even though I am doing the cooking now. I fully understand and appreciate her reasoning for pizza on a Friday.

We call in our order at Albert’s pizzeria, and we usually order the Grandma Pie. This pie was designed to annoy me, and have a deep wish to scream when I hang up the phone after ordering it. It goes like this, week after week.

“Albert’s, pick up or delivery?”

“Pick up.”

What can I get you?”

“I’d like your Grandma Pie.”

Here it comes…

“You mean the pie with fresh plumb tomatoes and garlic and basil????” (No, the one with peanut butter and jelly you ninny)

“That’s the one.”

“Name?”

“Del”

“Oh, Mr. Del, how ya doin? 20 minutes.” And so goes my conversation on the phone every Friday night at about 6:30 pm. And every Friday when I call: “You mean the pie with fresh plumb tomatoes and garlic and basil????”

Now don’t get me wrong, Albert’s Grandma Pie is the best, without question, it’s THE question:
“You mean the pie with fresh plumb tomatoes and garlic and basil????”

AHHHGGG!!!

Well, I got him this time, and he sounded a little annoyed
“Albert’s, pick up or delivery?”

“Pick up.”

What can I get you?”

“I’d like your Grandma Pie.”

Here it comes…

“I mean the pie with fresh plumb tomatoes and garlic and basil!”

Sore loser.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Looks awesome. I'd answer that same stupid question every Friday if someone brought that to my door!