Saturday, September 21, 2013

WHAT’S IN A NAME?



Before leaving the Barnes & Noble bookstore, I took my receipt up to the cash register and handed it to a very pleasant lady, maybe a little older than but sparkling with a sense of dry humor.

“Do you have a membership with us?” She asked.

“I’m not sure if I do or not anymore.”

“Phone Number?”

“OK, but call during working hours, my wife may get suspicious.” I then give her my number and she finds my name.

“You are Joe…. with a something last name?

Yes, that’s me, Joe Something!”

‘Well,” she says: “I didn’t want to mispronounce it.” She then pronounces it perfectly! This is winning her big points on the tote board of life!
 
As we kid around about the fact that she did so well, I take my credit card and am about to leave when it dawns on me, she should know who she is dealing with. I march back to the counter and tell her that actually she is dealing with someone semi-famous. I tell her about #1 Son writing for the Big Bang Theory and to look for the last name after each show.

“Wait a minute” she says, “aren’t you the man who came here last year and bought up our stock of Entertainment Magazine?”

Smiling and proud, I said: “And YOU haven’t aged a bit!”

No comments: