Friday, October 25, 2013

TIS DA SEASON

-->
Yup, it is creeping up on me and will soon bite me on the ass!

It is the time of year when we close down the summer and fall and enter the Holiday Season, right before winter! There are five seasons, as you know: Winter, spring, summer, fall and holiday.

Immediate and in front of our nose is Halloween, the season that comes to via the witches, ghosts and retail. It is funny how the holiday will start out religious and end up in retail (See Halloween and Christmas)! Then there are the Government holidays of the 4th of July, all followed by retail support, stores open until midnight. And who is the holiday you celebrate for? Why the retail stores that drag their workers in to work, and you to shop, creating stress for everyone who needs time off to celebrate, decorate and even plan a get together or two. Then how can we forget Memorial Day, it should be a solemn day of rememberance, instead we celebrate and shop once again, our capitalist culture taking over!
The latest thing is to decorate your home with a Halloween flag, to go with the lawn decorations. This also means you have to remember: get candy for the little monkeys that show up at the door, put up with the parents who interrupt your supper while they send their little brats to your door and stand watch waiting for you to comment on how cute they are in their costumes, and the costumes of the kids. They usually stand in the street with strollers, come in packs, people who I never saw before, all smoking while the kid knocks on my door and just stands there looking at me. If the kids are driving to my door themselves, as long as they don’t park on my lawn I will give them a treat, if not I reach into my candy bowl and quickly shove it into their little bags and pretend I gave them something. What I don’t give I save for myself!

There are two days I pray for rain: 4th of July and Halloween. The harder it rains the better, why, so I’m not annoyed by the constant din of fireworks or interruptions of knocking on my door! Yes, I’m getting old and mean.
Besides, my parents never followed my older sister (much older) Tessie or me around when we trick or treated in Brooklyn. My costume was home made and I was usually armed with a chalky sock to fling against someone, especially if they wore black that day. When we yelled: Trick or treat, we meant it. Not only did we ring one doorbell, we rang them all, three stories of apartments needed to answer and respond kindly, or else! The one thing my older sister (much older) Tessie and the older kids taught me was to never ring a doorbell of someone you knew, because if they didn’t come across, and we tricked them, it would get back to our parents where the trick would be staying alive!
 
So I leave you with this: Have a happy holiday season as it starts soon, don’t get grouchy like me and if you are smart, don’t answer the door on Halloween, because

the kids of today won’t do anything, they don’t want their store bought costume to get dirty. This leaves you with more candy you can either eat or save for next year!

No comments: