Sunday, October 27, 2013

VEGETARIANS


The other night I made a really nice dinner of pork chops and a baked potato. The reason I mention that is because #2 Son happened to be around and is a vegetarian, and TLW (The Little Woman) likes to watch her weight, as do all women it seems.

The pork chop I made with a sherry that had a very nice taste to it that I have to reconstruct from memory, because I cook on the fly. I have been doing this for years. My feeling is after all these years of cooking, visiting restaurants and seeing cooking shows, your mind doesn’t really need recipes anymore, but common sense.

Anyway, back to the dinner and the family, I made this potato where I micro waved for 10 minutes 2 punctured Russet potatoes and then scooped out the potato but kept the shell of the skins. I added sour cream, about two healthy large spoon sized scoops, chopped scallions a little white pepper and some chopped black olives, mixing it all together after mashing with a fork the scooped out potato. I put the mixture back into the potato skins and then covered it with a healthy dose of Mexican four blend cheeses, and baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. Needless to say it was very tasty.

By this time as I sat down to eat with TLW, #2 son who never eats with us decides to sit and watch – our potatoes! TLW looks at #2 and says: You want half of my potato, and of course he says yes.

My potato is still sitting on my plate and is a thing of beauty, as I admire it’s size, textures and dreamy creamy taste it will soon demonstrate on my pallet, no one is getting this baby, no sir!

As I dig into the skin and scoop out a fork full of potato, it doesn’t disappoint, and I vow once more: no one is getting this baby, no sir!

#2 has by now emptied his plate and is casting occasional glances at my plate and the potato in particular. As I eat my pork chop I start to notice this, and the fact that no one is getting this baby but me, no sir!

I thought that when Happy my cocker spaniel died, there would be no more begging at the table, that I would be eating full meals once again. I can’t stand it anymore so I ask: You want the rest of this?

And so once again, along with my salad, goes my potato to the vegetarian. Thank God he is, that pork chop was going nowhere, no one was getting that baby, no sir!

But you never know.

No comments: