Friday, November 01, 2013

MOVING ON UP!


Yesterday was the culmination of a lousy weekend! Yesterday was colonoscopy day, a Monday, and from Saturday night until about 3:30 in the afternoon on Monday I had nothing to eat.

I really wish they would invent a better tasting liquid to force down your throat before the endoscopy because it taste awful as some of you may know. The actual procedure itself is a snap but the time leading up to it isn’t.

One of the things I hate is going to the prep room and having to change into the hospital gown. This time around, the young lady who directed me gave me the gown and told me: “Open end in the back, here is a bag for your things and keep your socks on.” That last remark made me wonder if I needed to keep my socks on or be patient, but I am a patient so this must mean keep my socks on. Since she didn’t mention underwear, I paused for a moment and realized: DUH, put them in the bag!

Lying down on the cot or bed, she takes my temperature and sets up the IV so that they can insert the knockout agent that makes you sleep like a baby. I just hope I don’t wet the bed like a baby! So you see all you little kiddies out there, Uncle Joe says to potty train well, you never know when you need to hold it without thinking!

There were two things the staff kept asking from the waiting room, the prep room and the procedure room was my birthday, and who was here with me? I guess they didn’t believe someone this old could still be standing and yet with this face had someone still married to me. Goes to show you.

After the gown and blood pressure was taken, they immediately wheeled me into the procedure room, asked their questions and a white milk-like fluid was administered. Watching this I laughed to myself that that was not going to work, they were wasting their time and fluids. They told me to take deep breaths and I did like I was told, thinking: I told them so: this isn’t working! They responded by saying, OK get dressed; the doctor will come by to tell you how it all went.

!

Smart asses!

And so I dressed after talking to the doctor, and TLW (The Little Woman)  and I went to an Italian restaurant and except for a drink, I ate well and felt like a new man, except for the lack of coffee for two days.

I think it is worth the inconvenience of a few days and some awful tasting liquid that you rush to down to get it over with, to have a colonoscopy, it will help in the prevention of cancer, saving you from an early death and the pain of cancer, so please have one if you are over 50. Stay healthy, besides I need you to read and I love you!

1 comment:

Michele DePalo said...

Glad all went well with the procedure, and thanks for promoting our show!