Wednesday, December 04, 2013

AND THE WORLD GETS SMALLER YET!


Mom is 95 years old and losing a step or two as she ages. She still has it all upstairs, but her lateral movements; especially her throws in turning a double play are not what they used to be.

She complains that she can’t do the things she loves to do like bake, cook and clean, along with hitting me with her wooden spoon. To compensate for her lose of movement: I hired a cleaning team to come periodically and clean her house. Russell, the fellow who is in charge of the crew, brought along a lovely lady named Rosemary, who is training to take his place when he can’t make it.
The ‘Clean Team’ as it is called, is from AHRC Suffolk Chapter, and is part of a day-program for the three people who work in the program under Russell’s supervision.

I usually sit with Mom while they go through the house, vacuuming, dusting and polishing, and we talk about everything from the old neighborhood to past family members and what is going on today.

Rosemary, the lady I mentioned above, stopped by and I struck up a conversation to break the ice, and it turns out, she was right out of my past! Turns out she was from the old neighborhood, around the corner from my house, and get this, right next door from my buddy Jim on Somers Street!

Then I mentioned Jim’s last name in front of my Mom and what the heck do you think happened? Mom knows Jim’s parents! Jim, who found me by accident, by Googling my old school, came across this blogue, we became friends and he lived on Somers Street, around the corner from me. He used to park his car in a garage he rented next door to me! We almost share the same birthday, his is on July 5 and mine the day after! Jim is now a blogger on his own: http://jpantaleno.blogspot.com/


1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

As they sing incessantly on that Disneyworld ride, It's a small world after all.