Thursday, December 05, 2013

OH, HOW WE DANCED!


Love is always a splendid thing, and when it involves itself in a wedding, it is the only thing.

On the north shore of Long Island, sits a former country club with a golf course overlooking Long Island Sound now called Lombardi’s on the Sound. It was the scene of a beautiful time, as the evening seemed to turn to magic.

Two great kids!
On the dance floor for the first time stood my niece Sarah Harrow and her Prince Charming Alex, as Mr. and Mrs. Pombano!

I love weddings, I like to get up from the table and roam the floor and say hello to people I haven’t seen in years, joke, and laugh about life and see how they are all doing. The brides Stepfather, Don, who officiated the proceedings in his tuxedo (very dapper I may add) has two lovely sisters, both of whom I met at the wedding in my wanderings. Both lovely and I must say charming gals bear a remarkable resemblance to each other and their brother Don, and so I was able to just introduce myself to one and say hello to another without a hitch, or mistaken them for my neighbor or church organist! Age will do that to you.

But it struck me, as it always will on these occasions when my nieces and nephews marry: I am getting older. Out on the dance floor I would dance the night away with the lovely TLW (The Little Woman) and all would be well. Then about a year ago, I went on the dance floor, danced to my heart’s content and the next morning, awoke to a horrible headache and the vibration from the night before was still playing throughout my body. I thought I had Parkinson’s disease! The noise level at these functions seems to take over and invade your body!

TLW too has now resigned herself to sitting out the fast ones, hip pain and the pain in the ass she married will do that to you, also. I remember how beautiful she looked on our wedding day, and how we really never got to dance that day because we were too busy with the wedding guests, and by half way through the occasion, I was too drunk!

And so another child becomes an adult, another wedding goes down in the books and another year I get older! But oh, how we used to dance!

No comments: