Monday, December 09, 2013

‘TIS THE SEASON


Every year around this time, I dread the thought of taking down the Christmas stuff and decorating the house. To me, there are no kids in the house waiting for the magic of Santa. A small tabletop tree should be enough and maybe a wreath or two and we are done.

But suddenly, this season for some reason, I had the urge to decorate! I actually got the decorations down and then did something crazy! I even took down the Dickens like village and set it up! I haven’t done that in years, and here I was excitedly assembling a little village!

TLW (The Little Woman) watching me as I took the beautiful reproductions out of their boxes asked how come I was decorating?

I thought about it for a moment and then realize where all this Christmas spirit was coming from.

My grandchild is on her way!

She is not going to have an old coot for a grandfather! When she comes to my house for the holidays, she will have magic and more magic, she will remember her grandfather and grandmother and the house decorated.

So already this little child, who I have not met yet, but love more than I imagined, has lit the fires in her grandpa, has made the spirit of the season live within my soul. I had hoped to give her a first gift for the season, instead she has given me the greatest gift of all, joy and love: and she isn’t even born yet, and as of this writing, I don’t even know her name!

And so we see why it is so wonderful that #1 Son married TLC (The Lovely Courtney), Courtney has made the joy of the season for me, and for the whole family by bringing into the world a beautiful child I can call my grandchild. Christmas is fun again!

7 comments:

Diana said...

As I said before, knowing you and Ellen, the wonderful grandparents you will be, this is why the "sudden urge" to decorate just happened to hit you. And from experience, I will tell you , you will not ever put up the "little" tree ever, because now you will relive the joy and happiness of Chrismas with children once agin, as you did with your own. (and a little footnote......the decorations might become more, as the grandkids make "Grandma & Grandpa" their own specials gifts! ) Happy decorating and Happy Holidays to all!

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Thank you, Diana!

Diana said...

.............And believe me, from my memories of you, the joy and laughter you bring, you will NEVER be and old coot!!!! .............

Princess Pat said...

Thanks Joe that gives me hope. I, as well, find myself not enjoying putting up the decorations since I don't have small children to enjoy it with. And though I don't have grandchildren and may never have grandchildren we are all children in our hearts.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Never say Never Patrizia!

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Never say Never Patrizia!

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Never say Never Patrizia!