Friday, December 20, 2013

WHEN ANGELS LAUGH!


Santa and Grandma
One of the things I always wanted to do in my adult life is to play Santa to children. There is nothing like innocent anticipation for the old bearded gentleman, and it is the only time I can call myself an old bearded gentleman. If you happen to have a Santa outfit, then the dream comes true, and where better than my niece Annmarie and her beautiful children, the grand kids of my beautiful sister Mary Ann.
with Anthony and Jordyn

I myself as a child gave up on Santa once I put two and two together, which was tough on me since I was a lousy math student to begin with. There just seemed to be too many Santa’s hanging around, changing shape and even color! But when one of them was wearing brown shoes on Broadway and Eastern Parkway one Christmas, I said to myself: “Joe, you are 21 years of age and was always suspicious of Santa, I think this is all a lot of hokum.

with Anthony, Aubrey and Alex
The presents were arranged by the mailbox with care, in the hopes that St. Nickolas would soon be there. He was! I grabbed the presents, stuck them in my sack and started up the driveway in the dark towards the front door. Standing in the living room looking out was my niece Annmarie, as I shook my bells and shook in my shorts, it was a cold night!

words of advice for Al
Shouting out to get the kids attention, my niece leads out 4 little munchkins, Aubrey, Alex, Anthony and Jordyn. All these beautiful children were not expecting Santa, and the looks of shock on their faces made me laugh inside.

Anthony and Alex negotiate with Santa
Kids are very compliant when they are scared and this was my chance to part with a special message: “Now remember, put on your pajamas and go to bed when mommy and daddy tell you!” My sister Mary Ann almost fainted as I headed for the door, thinking: “There he goes again!” It is what I always say to my nieces and nephews to tease them.

No comments: